July 2021 update:
In compliance with the NSW Government Public Health Order, all work has ceased across all the Merrylands CBD Infrastructure sites from Monday 19 July. Once the Public Health Orders are updated and work is permitted to restart, the work completion dates will be revised accordingly. We apologise for any inconvenience caused by delays during this time.
The Merrylands Infrastructure Upgrades consist of a series of storm water drainage infrastructure replacements, construction of new roads and other utility upgrades across Merrylands CBD.
This revitalisation project aims to transform Merrylands CBD into a modern and vibrant center through the creation of future development opportunities, improved infrastructure and public amenities. The stormwater upgrades will maximise the potential for future revitalisation within the location. It will also reduce existing and future flooding issues.
Scope of works – Merrylands CBD
Cumberland City Council is building major stormwater culverts and new roads to better connect McFarlane St to Merrylands Rd via an extended Main Lane. The new roads and drainage infrastructure will service new and future developments, some of which are already being constructed. These essential infrastructure works will also facilitate future revitalisation and development of the CBD area. Refer to the CBD diagram.
The works to be carried out include the following:
- The rear of the building at 219 Merrylands Rd was partially demolished and rebuilt to make way for the new culvert and Main Lane extension.
- Construction of major stormwater culverts between McFarlane St and Merrylands Rd, extension of Main Lane and new substation at Sarah Daniel Court. Works will be carried out between April 2021 and December 2022. Impacts on pedestrian pathways between Merrylands Rd and McFarlane St, including temporary closure of McFarlane St carpark.
- Construction of major stormwater culvert across Addlestone Rd, local drainage upgrade along Merrylands Rd and other local streets. Works will be carried out between April 2021 and December 2022. Impacts on pedestrian pathways and temporary lane closures are expected.
McFarlane Street Carpark Closure
The McFarlane Street Carpark will close on 7 June 2021.
- Access to McFarlane Mall shops will remain open during this period.
- Shops are still operating as usual.
- There are over 200 parking spots in Stocklands Merrylands, accessed from Pitt and Neil St (open 24/7)
- Stocklands Merrylands offer 3 hour free parking. The parking area closes at 11pm daily.
- There are over 30 off street parking spots on McFarlane St
- Addlestone Road Carpark can be used as alternative parking.
Image: McFarlane Street carpark closure
Due to high traffic volumes at the McFarlane Street Carpark and to complete the Merrylands CBD infrastructure upgrade, the closure of the carpark is necessary for the safety of workers, pedestrians and motorists, and to minimise impacts to traffic.
Main Lane Temporary Closure
Due to the installation of culverts and construction in Main Lane, Merrylands, it will be closed temporarily from 12 July 2021 to improve safety. Council will work closely with the contractor to minimise disruption to residents and businesses.
- There will be no vehicle access to the western end of Main Lane.
- Vehicles can still access Main Lane to Finns Lane as usual.
- Walking to businesses at the western end of Main Lane will be maintained as shown in the above diagram with blue arrows.
- Garbage bins can be wheeled for collection as well as deliveries via the pathway shown in the above diagram.
We aim to reopen Main Lane as soon as works are complete and when it’s safe to do so.
View the Merrylands CBD sitemap in the image gallery.
Merrylands Road - Restoration of pavers
Telstra recently performed some work within the recently upgraded footpath along Merrylands Road which has caused some damage to the new pavers. Statewide Civil has been contracted by Cumberland City Council to rectify this damage and restore the footpath back to its new condition.
We will be commencing the rectification works on Monday 12 July 2021. Weather permitting, the rectification works should be completed by 2 August 2021. should be completed by the 2nd of August 2021. Due to safety concerns, it is not possible to safely carry out some of these works during the day, hence, some of these works, including demolition, will need to be conducted at night. The operating hours will be from 8pm to 5am for all nightworks & 7am to 5pm for all dayworks.
As these works involve machine excavation, you may experience some noise disruptions. However, we will endeavour to minimise noise as much as possible and undertake the noisier part of the work earlier in the evenings.
Scope of works – Neil St Precinct
Works are being carried out in the area between Neil St and the Holroyd Gardens as well as along Neil St and Pitt St including their intersection. The scope of works includes the relocation of existing services and construction of new roads and drainage infrastructure (including stormwater culverts). The new roads and drainage infrastructure will service new and future developments, some of which are already being constructed.
Cumberland City Council is building new roads to improve pedestrian and vehicular connection between Neil Street and Sheffield Street, Dressler Crt and Holroyd Gardens. The new roads will include shared pedestrian and bike paths. Refer to the Neil St diagram.
Statewide Civil has been contracted by Cumberland City Council as the Principal Contractor to construct the works on behalf of Council. The project commenced in February 2020 and is due to complete October 2021.
An existing water main was recently constructed and awaits testing and connection by Sydney Water. It is anticipated that Sydney Water will complete this work in September 2021. Following the Sydney Water works the construction of the new intersection will commence and is expected to be completed in October 2021, weather permitting. Due to safety concerns, it is not possible to safely carry out some of these works during the day, hence, some of these works, including demolition, will need to be conducted at night. The operating hours will be from 8pm to 5am for all nightworks & 7am to 5pm for all dayworks.
The works to date have generally been away from public areas. However, the following works in public areas are required:
- Construction of major stormwater culvert across Neil St – this is now complete
- Construction of new intersection is due for completion in October 2021. Traffic will be impacted eg lane closures. Unexpected services were discovered, delaying the progress of the works.
- Construction of new stormwater pipes along Neil St and Pitt St, including across the intersection – this has commenced and will be ongoing until June 2021. Traffic will be impacted eg lane closures.
View the Neil Street Precinct sitemap in the image gallery.
During this time, we encourage you to view the plans for the Merrylands Infrastructure Upgrades in the document library on this page.
RPS Group has been appointed as Project Manager for this project. More information can be obtained by contacting:
Manager Assets & Construction, Cumberland City Council
P: (02) 8757 9595